Street Improvement Updates and Information
There are a variety of street repairs, improvements, and projects completed throughout the city each year. Here is a summary of some of the improvements you have been and will be seeing with our city streets.
Potholes: The Public Works Department addresses and fills potholes throughout the year. We are able to fill the worst ones in the winter and then concentrate citywide on all of them after the winter season beginning in the spring and continuing through the summer. Pothole repair scheduling depends on a variety of factors (when the plant is operating and mix availability, our own scheduling and crew availability, weather (rain, snow, temperatures), etc...) Even though the Public Works Department keeps an ongoing list of potholes and areas for repair, we will be adding a feature to the Public Works/City website in the near future allowing citizens to report potholes as well. Public Works Crews have CURRENTLY put down 259,090 lbs (132.69 tons) of asphalt/patch for repairs SINCE July 1, 2020. (51 days)
7-1, 2018 to 6-30, 2019-Hotmix/Patch for Potholes by Public Works Crews on LeClaire Roads: 159,715 lbs / 79.86 Tons
7-1, 2019 to 6-30, 2020-Hotmix/Patch for Potholes by Public Works Crews on LeClaire Roads: 227,215 lbs/ 113.59 Tons
7-1, 2020 to Present-Hotmix/Patch for Potholes/Streets by Public Works Crews on LeClaire Roads: 259,090 lbs/ 132.69 Tons
Concrete Panel replacement: Depending on the year, the City budgets money for some sections of concrete panel replacement. Some of the smaller panels/sections of replacement are completed by our Public Works staff, while some of the larger, more comprehensive sections are contracted out.
Crack and Joint Sealing program: Depending on the year, the City budgets money for an ongoing maintenance program of our concrete streets throughout the city. This includes crack and joint sealing by an outside contractor.
Major street overlays or replacement: Depending on the year, the City budgets money for asphalt street overlays and/or complete asphalt/concrete street replacement. The following is a list of streets (in no particular order of improvement) that will be completely overlayed this summer. Work began the week of May 10th, 2021 and will be completed by the end of the summer!
- May Street between 2nd Street and 7th Street (Will begin culvert work first)
- Davenport Street between 8th Street and 15th Street (Will begin week of June 28)
- 15th Street between Dodge Street and Wisconsin Street (COMPLETED)
- 12th Street between Davenport Street and Jones Street (Will begin week of June 28)
- 11th Street between Wisconsin Street and Jones Street (COMPLETED)
- North 5th Street between Jones Street and Reynolds Street (COMPLETED)
- North 6th Street between Wisconsin Street and Reynolds Street (COMPLETED)
- Reynolds Street between North 5th Street and North 6th Street (COMPLETED)
- North 2nd Street between Chesnut Street and Oak Street (COMPLETED)
- North 3rd Street between Jones Street and Holland Street (COMPLETED)
- May Court (Will begin week of June 28)
Note: Davenport Street between 7th and 14th; 12th Street between Wisconsin Street and Davenport Street; and May Street between 2nd and 7th Street will all be started the week of June 28 and the culvert on May Street is replaced.
Take a look at the documents below for some major street improvements TENTATIVELY budgeted in the next number of years.